Investment 20/20 Internship
Investec Asset Management is an independently managed global asset manager within the Investec Group, which is listed in both London and Johannesburg. We are founder-led and our employees are equity stakeholders in our business.
We provide investment products and services to institutions, advisory clients and individuals. Our clients include pension funds, central banks, sovereign wealth funds, insurers, foundations, financial advisers and individual investors.
We were established in South Africa in 1991, offering a small range of domestic investment strategies. We are now a truly global business managing approximately £105.0bn* for clients from all over the world. We service these clients from our offices in London, Cape Town, Johannesburg, New York, Hong Kong, Singapore and Sydney (and more).
At Investec Asset Management, we believe in a better future. First and foremost, we are working towards a better future for our clients. They have entrusted us with their investments and our responsibility is to look after their capital. Our purpose is to help people around the globe enjoy a dignified retirement and to preserve wealth for future generations.
Our culture supports innovation. We value honest debate and the sharing of ideas. Our people are encouraged to challenge the status quo.
*as at 31.12.2018
Our Investment20/20 internship offers a twelve-month placement within one of our London-based teams: Fund Operations, Client Operations, Compliance or Technical Marketing. The internship is designed for graduates to gain a foundation knowledge in the Investment Management industry. Our scheme is non-rotational as we believe it will give you the opportunity to have a meaningful experience where you really get to know the team you are placed in, understand the role and responsibilities of your department in depth and ultimately develop a solid foundation on which to launch your career into the exciting Investment Management world.
We are committed to supporting the interns that join us. This includes;
- In-house Induction programme
- Sponsorship to complete an investment management qualification such as an IMC
- Attendance at all Investment 2020 Industry Insight events
Our programme pays £21,840 per annum. In addition, you will be entitled to our employee benefits which include;
- Pension scheme
- Private Healthcare
- Sports club membership subsidy and eligibility to join the office gym
- Cycle to work scheme
- Season ticket loan
All of our interns are also welcome to join the various social activities organised by our social committees as well as team and company events.
We have opportunities within four different teams in our Operations division:
A truly global team ensuring all marketing is fair, clear and not misleading. By understanding the rules in each country, the team help Global Marketing produce high quality and compliant marketing material. The team review a wide variety of content which includes podcasts, video, website pages, brochures and presentations deemed to be promotional in their nature. By helping in this way, you will have great exposure to the rest of the business and access to materials which constantly add to your knowledge of the Asset Management industry. The role involves dealing with diverse teams in an ever changing and divergent regulatory environment, where relationship management and problem solving skills are valued and continuously refined.
Client Operations is a global team based in London (8) and Cape Town (23). The role of this team is to service all Investec Asset Management institutional clients worldwide. These include pension funds, corporates, sovereign wealth funds and charities. A Client Operations Analyst’s core responsibility is the creation and distribution of client reporting which comprises of valuations, performance, commentary and regulatory requirements. The team is the day to day operational contact for clients, custodians, consultants and trustees. They answer queries, deal with issues and generate ad hoc reporting as and when required. The team facilitates the placing of client trades and the processing of client cash contributions and withdrawals. They liaise with client relationship teams, other operational and investments teams on a daily basis, in order to service our client’s services efficiently and effectively.
Fund Operations is a global team of 28 based in Hong Kong, New York, Luxembourg, London and Cape Town. The team oversees the Transfer Agents appointed to all our mutual funds globally (excluding South Africa). The team comprises a reactive telephone team who support incoming calls from clients, intermediaries and custodians. They act as a single point for all related queries. The team monitors accuracy of implementation and processing of all fund fees and rebates. They also provide anti-money laundering oversight and controls for all funds and work closely with compliance on this
Compliance is a global team of 28 people based in London, Cape Town, Guernsey, Luxembourg, New York, Hong Kong and Singapore. The compliance team is broadly split between those involved in advising the business and those involved in monitoring the business. The advisory team assesses the impacts of existing, changing and new regulations. This involves the rapid review of legislation and guidance from a variety of sources including national regulators and the European Commission. The team assess what changes, if any, may be needed to ensure the business remains in compliance and then works with the impacted business areas to assist in the design of new processes, procedures and controls. The team also assists with new fund launches, fund guideline queries and ongoing compliance training. The monitoring team engages in an ongoing programme of work to test that procedures are being followed and that controls remain fit for purpose. This is performed primarily through regular sample testing of controls and periodic full assessments of business areas. Recommendations for improvements are reported in order to enhance compliance and also increase business efficiency. Working in the Compliance team provides a highly varied workload and offers opportunities to interact with every part of the business as a key and trusted adviser.
One intern will be placed into each team for the duration of the twelve month placement.
You will provide support to your team, be encouraged to attend team meetings and slowly take on more and more responsibility as you gain experience and develop your knowledge and skills.
In the application form you have the chance to choose your team preference. If successful, we will do our best to place you in your preferred team, but this cannot be guaranteed
- Written skills – able to respond in a professional manner to clients
- Communication skills – we like to speak to each other rather than email when we can so we look for people who want to walk across the floor, collaborate with colleagues and build strong working relationships
- Problem solving – in an ever-changing industry we are looking for people with a pro-active approach to questions and issues that might come up, thinking ahead to suggest solutions and positive outcomes
- Attention to detail
- Takes pride and personal accountability in their work
- Numerical / data – comfortable with sets of data
- Time keeping – conscious of deadlines and responding to requests in a timely manner
- Ability to follow process and procedure – this is important in our highly regulated industry
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office – Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Degree qualified
- Self-motivated individuals who take initiative and who can be flexible in their approach
- Results driven
- Optimistic and energised individuals who can take responsibility and run with it
- Resilient in the face of push back
- Opportunistic and can manage ambiguity
- Applications will only be accepted from candidates who currently hold a UK visa/permit which is valid for the duration of the programme (12 months)
- Applications will only be accepted from candidates who can commit to the full duration of the programme
- Applications will only be accepted from candidates who can start the internship in August 2019
Applications close on 26th July 2019
We are conscious of our impact and responsibility to create a better future – to our investors, clients and the world we live in therefore we look for thoughtful employees who align with our belief in doing the right thing
- Adhering to the in-house Code of Ethics which forms part of employment contract, and which includes the following key policies: Management of Conflicts of Interest, Treating Clients Fairly, Confidentiality of Client and Business Information, Handling of Inside Information, Personal Account Dealing, Disclosure of Outside Interests, Provision or receipt of Gifts, Entertainment, Events or other benefits