Investment20/20 Graduate Programme
Investec Asset Management is an independently managed global asset manager within the Investec Group, which is listed in both London and Johannesburg. We are founder-led and our employees are equity stakeholders in our business.
We provide investment products and services to institutions, advisory clients and individuals. Our clients include pension funds, central banks, sovereign wealth funds, insurers, foundations, financial advisers and individual investors.
We were established in South Africa in 1991, offering a small range of domestic investment strategies. We are now a truly global business managing approximately £105.0bn* for clients from all over the world. We service these clients from our offices in London, Cape Town, Johannesburg, New York, Hong Kong, Singapore and Sydney (and more).
At Investec Asset Management, we believe in a better future. First and foremost, we are working towards a better future for our clients. They have entrusted us with their investments and our responsibility is to look after their capital. Our purpose is to help people around the globe enjoy a dignified retirement and to preserve wealth for future generations.
Our culture supports innovation. We value honest debate and the sharing of ideas. Our people are encouraged to challenge the status quo.
*as at 31.12.2018
Our Investment20/20 graduate programme offers a twelve month placement within one of our London-based teams: Client Operations, Fund Operations, Compliance or Technical Marketing. The programme is designed for graduates to gain a foundation knowledge in the Investment Management industry. Our scheme is non-rotational as we believe it will give you the opportunity to have a meaningful experience where you really get to know the team you are placed in, understand the role and responsibilities of your department in depth and ultimately develop a solid foundation on which to launch your career into the exciting Investment Management world.
We are committed to supporting the trainees that join us. This includes;
- In-house Induction programme
- Sponsorship to complete an investment management qualification such as Claritas or an IOC exam
- Attendance at all Investment 2020 Industry Insight events
Our internship pays £21,840 per annum. In addition you will be entitled to our employee benefits which include;
- Pension scheme
- Private Healthcare
- Sports club membership subsidy and eligibility to join the office gym
- Cycle to work scheme
- Season ticket loan
All our interns are also welcome to join the various social activities organised by our social committees as well as team and company events.
We have opportunities within four different teams:
A truly global team ensuring all marketing is fair, clear and not misleading. By understanding the rules in each country, the team help Global Marketing produce high quality and compliant marketing material. The team review a wide variety of content which includes podcasts, video, website pages, brochures and presentations deemed to be promotional in their nature. By helping in this way, you will have great exposure to the rest of the business and access to materials which constantly add to your knowledge of the Asset Management industry. The role involves dealing with diverse teams in an ever changing and divergent regulatory environment, where relationship management and problem solving skills are valued and continuously refined.
Client Operations is a global team of 38 based in London, Cape Town, Botswana, Namibia and New York. The role of the Client Operations Analyst is to service Investec Asset Management institutional and advisor clients worldwide, these include pension funds, corporates, sovereign wealth funds and charities. The team is the day to day relationship contact for all operational queries from clients, custodians, consultants and trustees and are responsible for the generation of regular and ad hoc reporting. On a daily basis Client Ops liaise with teams across Client Management, Investment, Compliance and Marketing Teams in order to service our client’s efficiently and effectively.
Fund Operations is a global team of 28 based in Hong Kong, New York, Luxembourg, London and Cape Town. The team oversees the Transfer Agents appointed to all our mutual funds globally (excluding South Africa). The team comprises a reactive telephone team who support incoming calls from clients, intermediaries and custodians. They act as a single point for all related queries. The team monitors accuracy of implementation and processing of all fund fees and rebates. They also provide anti-money laundering oversight and controls for all funds and work closely with compliance on this.
Compliance is a global team of 28 people based in London, Cape Town, Guernsey, Luxembourg, New York, Hong Kong and Singapore. The compliance team is broadly split between those involved in advising the business and those involved in monitoring the business. The advisory team assesses the impacts of existing, changing and new regulations. This involves the rapid review of legislation and guidance from a variety of sources including national regulators and the European Commission. The team assess what changes, if any, may be needed to ensure the business remains in compliance and then works with the impacted business areas to assist in the design of new processes, procedures and controls. The team also assists with new fund launches, fund guideline queries and ongoing compliance training. The monitoring team engages in an ongoing programme of work to test that procedures are being followed and that controls remain fit for purpose. This is performed primarily through regular sample testing of controls and periodic full assessments of business areas. Recommendations for improvements are reported in order to enhance compliance and also increase business efficiency. Working in the Compliance team provides a highly varied workload and offers opportunities to interact with every part of the business as a key and trusted adviser.
One intern will be placed into each team for the duration of the twelve month placement.
You will provide support to your team, be encouraged to attend team meetings and slowly take on more and more responsibility as you gain experience and develop your knowledge and skills.
Please note that the online application form for this vacancy is temporarily unavailable. To apply, please download the manual application form from our job description attachment section below. Once you have completed the application form, please send it along with the required supporting documents to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
The deadline for applications is Friday 31 May 2019.
- Written skills – able to respond in a professional manner to clients
- Communication skills – we like to speak to each other rather than email when we can so we look for people who want to walk across the floor, collaborate with colleagues and build strong working relationships
- Problem solving – in an ever-changing industry we are looking for people with a pro-active approach to questions and issues that might come up, thinking ahead to suggest solutions and positive outcomes
- Attention to detail
- Takes pride and personal accountability in their work
- Numerical / data – comfortable with sets of data
- Time keeping – conscious of deadlines and responding to requests in a timely manner
- Ability to follow process and procedure – this is important in our highly regulated industry
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office – Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Degree qualified
- Self-motivated individuals who take initiative and who can be flexible in their approach
- Results driven
- Optimistic and energised individuals who can take responsibility and run with it
- Resilient in the face of push back
- Opportunistic and can manage ambiguity
- Applications will be accepted from candidates from any degree subject
- Applications will only be accepted from candidates who currently hold a UK or EU passport or a visa/permit which is valid for the duration of the programme (12 months)
- Applications will only be accepted from candidates who can commit to the full duration of the programme
- Applications will only be accepted from candidates who can start the programme in August/September 2019
- Candidates must be able to attend assessment days in London in mid-late June 2019
This Vacancy is closed to applications.